Stocking suggestions please

Background, history of the species, identification, sexing, etc.

Stocking suggestions please

Postby NQuaday » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:29 pm

I have recently gotten back into the hobby and successfully cycled a fully planted 15 gallon aquarium. It has decent biological and mechanical filtration. I am thinking of placing some RCS to breed and produce some shrimplets to supplement the fishes diets. I am seriously considering some CPD's but am also considering:
Scarlet Badis
Some form of tetra, maybe neon or cardinal
Killifish
Maybe a dwarf cichlid pair/halem (apistogramma maybe?)

Any suggestions on what you think would be a nice stocking list and perhaps number of each species would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
NQuaday

Re: Stocking suggestions please

Postby isaisbreetai » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:11 pm

The problem I have found with putting CPDs into a communtiy setting is that they are slow eaters, and when they have to compete for food they may not get as much. I would also be worried that a cichild pair would become territorial and wreck your cpds, I however have little experiance with cichlids so I may be wrong here.
isaisbreetai

Postby NQuaday » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Yeah im thinking of just doing CPD's. If I did do a species tank how many of them do you think would be a safe number to place? I dont want to push the envelope of stocking but would like a rough guess of what everyone thinks would look best in the tank. Thanks
NQuaday

Postby isaisbreetai » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

I have seen people put as many as 1.5/gallon and the fish and water conditions have been fine. In a 15 though it may seem over-crowded with that many so I would say 10-15 (added in 2-3 batches over a couple of weeks). I would also base the number on how much hardscape you have taking up space in the tank as well
isaisbreetai

Return to Basic Information