[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Question from a newbie

Question from a newbie

Discussions about sexual behavior, mating, spawning, eggs, hatching, fry, and so on.

Question from a newbie

Postby SSTARR1701 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Hello all. Just found this board and this is my first post. I have about 10 CPD in a 20 gallon long. Sand bottom. LED lighting. I've had them in there for quite a while and they're doing well. Tank mates are one male Threadfin Rainbow fish. And a couple of wild type (feeder) guppy juveniles. My question is, will they breed in this set up? I see courting behavior all the time. And I'm assuming the females drop eggs as they are not dying from being egg bound. But I don't know if this set up is condusive for any eggs surviving and hatching. There are thick plants in there but not "ground cover". They spend a lot of time swimming amoung the plants. I've attached a pic (hopefully).
Thanks.
Attachments
office tank.jpg
20 gallon long. 10 CPD, 1 Threadfin Rainbow, 2 juvenile feeder guppies.
office tank.jpg (106.44 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
SSTARR1701

Re: Question from a newbie

Postby BallAquatics » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi SSTARR1701, welcome to the forum!

Very nice tank, thanks for sharing a photo with us. They will certainly spawn in your tank, but you probably won't see any fry as they will be quick to eat the eggs or newly hatched fry.

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby SSTARR1701 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. Is there anythng I can add to the tank to limit them eating eggs and/or fry? Or am I just better off having a small breeding tank. I kind of hate the thought of having to chase them around and catch them to move them back and forth between tanks. Seem like it would be very stressful for them. I am also thinking of getting a few more, and putting them into a new small pond I'm making in my yard. It will have lots of natural debris and plants on the bottom, so I'm thinking they'll breed naturally in there.
SSTARR1701

Postby BallAquatics » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:13 am

You could try an egg trap. I got CPD fry using these, and lots of other Danios too, but it's not my preferred method of spawning them.

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby SSTARR1701 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:04 pm

I really like that little egg trap. I'm definitely going to try that. Thanks. Do you leave the fry in there for a few days or do you put the whole thing into another tank?
SSTARR1701

Postby BallAquatics » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:21 am

BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby USCGCWO » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:42 am

Dennis,

Can you expand on your "perferred method"? Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread.

Shane
USCGCWO

Postby BallAquatics » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 am

BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby USCGCWO » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:41 pm

USCGCWO

Postby BallAquatics » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:46 pm

You are very welcome. Spreading the joy and getting out good information about these cool little fish is what the forum is all about. Thank you for joining in the fun!

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby stuur » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:32 am

Could someone explain how to move the egg trap to another tank. Should I use the drip acclimation method?
stuur

Postby BallAquatics » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:11 am

When using the egg trap, I generally use enough water from the breeding set-up to cover the trap in the new tank. Over the next several days add small amounts of fresh water.

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby stuur » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:44 am

It's raining eggs in the egg trap in my main tank!
Now my question is if the eggs are fertilized when they fall through the mesh. I can see them drop through almost immediately after the spawning.
stuur

Postby BallAquatics » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:55 am

BallAquatics
Site Admin

Return to Breeding