[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Stressed fish in breeding tank?

Stressed fish in breeding tank?

Discussions about sexual behavior, mating, spawning, eggs, hatching, fry, and so on.

Stressed fish in breeding tank?

Postby shift » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm

I put 2F/1M in a 10G tank with a mesh bottom, breeding mop and a few plants. The CPD's just seem to hide out in the mop all day. There colors are quite muted leading me to believe they are stressed out. How i can "relax" them a bit more so they actually breed?
shift

Re: Stressed fish in breeding tank?

Postby BallAquatics » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:42 pm

I would get rid of the mesh and us a course black gravel substrate. In the wild they are subject to heavy predation from above. That being the case, they try to match their color with that of the substrate, a form of camouflage. Give them plenty of cover either mops or moss and they should do fine.

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Re: Stressed fish in breeding tank?

Postby shift » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:02 am

The mesh was my form of an egg trap, there is a dark green mop in the tank. Maybe i will see if i can find a black mesh instead. I may also make a few more mops to go along with the random assortment of stems floating in the tank to help with natural filtration and an oversized Aquaclear filter turned way down.

Do you think large marbles or some sort of a "bigger" round substrate would work better than using plastic mesh?

Once they do a few spawns i plan on removing the parents then either letting they fry grow up for a few weeks in the tank then moving them or move them to one of the shrimp tanks to grow out.
shift

Return to Breeding