[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - CDPs Eating Cherry Red Shrimp?

CDPs Eating Cherry Red Shrimp?

Discussions about food, diet and nutrition for this fish.

CDPs Eating Cherry Red Shrimp?

Postby Lissa » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi!

I have 6 CDPs in a planted 10g. A couple days ago, I inadvertently added 4 Cherry Red Shrimp (they came in on the Java Moss I bought); one was a baby (very tiny) and three were adults.

However, It seems my CDPs have eaten two of my shrimp! The baby (which I didn't really expect to survive the CDPs, it was so tiny), and one adult.

I looked long and hard for the missing adult shrimp, but he's not in any of the plants, or in the filter. And, I saw three of the CDPs (one male and two females) harassing another shrimp; biting and pulling at it! It looked like one of the female CDPs managed to snatch a piece of exoskeleton, too. The amazing part is, the three adults are the same size as my CDPs.

I've since removed all the shrimp to my 30g.

Has anyone witnessed this behaviour before?
Lissa

Postby cdirus » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:36 am

I have 10 CPD in a 20H tank with both wild-type Neocaradina and American Glass Shrimp (AGS), and I have not seen any predation. The CPDs were added at the beginning of February along with 3 Dario dario (scarlet badis) and a male betta. The AGS have been breeding with most offspring being eaten, but some surviving. I seem to have fewer of the Neos, but that may be from some other factor (overfeeding, White Body disease?). My CPDs hardly ever feed off the substrate or at the surface, and only seem to take food that's floating in the water column. They don't even seem to notice the shrimp.

Cdirus
cdirus

Postby BallAquatics » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi Lissa,

I usually grow out my cpd fry in tanks with shrimp. I have never seen cpd attack grown shrimp, but I have seen cpd hunt down and eat baby shrimp.

When the cpd are young they simply can't swallow baby shrimp, but once they mature watch out.

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby Axelrodi202 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Axelrodi202

Re: CDPs Eating Cherry Red Shrimp?

Postby vtec » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:03 pm

vtec

Postby Tom2006 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Tom2006

Postby brad.clarkston » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:32 pm

brad.clarkston