[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - My Story

My Story

Discussions about food, diet and nutrition for this fish.

My Story

Postby fishmode » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Upon purchasing my first batch of CPDs (13), I've found them to slightly go for the frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp. They would take the food in, chew a couple times, then spit it out. Then, it would take at it, chew on it, then spit it out again. Now, this would happen a couple times before the fish loses it and/or another comes behind and has a go at it. The sequence of grab, chew, spit would occur for at least a dozen times between the fishes before someone would swallow and take.

I decided the food were too large or the fish were too picky. So, I went to the lfs where I brought the fish and asked for advice. I ended up buying the Hikari Micro Wafers, frozen cyclops, and frozen BBS. The BBS and cyclops did better than the brine shrimp were as the fish just take and swallow. However, the food were a bit small and required quite a bit for the fish to grab at before they grew tired and started spitting it out again.

The Micro Wafers did worse, the fish's mouth were too small, so they never really ate of them.

So, I thought, what the hey let's try some flake. At first, i put some on the top. These guys will not go to the top to grab food! They would wait until some would sink due to the flow of the filter and then grab. But, get this. They would eat A LOT of flake! It seems ackom's razor wins again, the most simpliest solution was the best. My fish really goes for the flake.

Although sometimes, they are picky on which color flake they like. Beats me.

Question: How do you guys diet your fish to look like the one's on top of the page? My females ar absoutely pale, although some are showing signs of coloration. I also have a non-dominant male that is so pale, he often looks like a female. The only notion I have in distinguishing this male is his slight, slight colour in the anal fin and his lack of the "gravid" spot.

Thanks again,
-David
fishmode

Postby celestialdude » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 am

Hi David and welcome to the forum!

Mine actually enjoy frozen bloodworms. They gobble them up, no questions asked. I'm not sure if maybe you got a bad batch? You can tell from the color -- the redder the better, and nice big fat worms.

The other thing you could try is feeding them at regular times, twice a day. I hope you have a timer for your hood lamp, so that they have regular simulated dawn and dusk. This is really important in regulating their body clock and appetites. Feed them an hour after "dawn" and an hour before "dusk". This is what I've found to work best for all my fishes actually. They know when the food is coming, and nothing can stop them from getting it!

Hope that helps...
celestialdude

Postby atlantis_child » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:33 pm

My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby altaaffe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:58 pm

altaaffe

Postby fishmode » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:33 pm

fishmode

Postby atlantis_child » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:55 pm

My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Return to Feeding