[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Brine Shrimp?

Brine Shrimp?

Discussions about food, diet and nutrition for this fish.

Brine Shrimp?

Postby celestialdude » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm new to Brine Shrimp... has anyone succesfully been able to raise them in a "sustainable" tank that can be harvested to feed fish? Meaning, they go through their complete life cycle continously in the tank and there is always a ready supply to be harvested... rather than buying the eggs from somewhere, hatching them, and using up all the ones that hatched.

If you have any experience in this area, feel free to share!

Cheers :D
celestialdude

Postby mummymonkey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:30 pm

I like to keep fish in my tanks! Seriously it sounds way too much hastle and a big tin of cysts costs about 20GBP and lasts a year.

mummymonkey

Postby chr15_8 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:02 pm

i normally buy mine from the lfs you get 5 bags (100ml) for £3(GBP) which last about a week ( i find they dont last much longer in the surplied sealed bags so it works out about right)

however im thinking of setting up a pint glass with an airstone in to keep the healthyer (spelling)
chr15_8

Postby katkin » Tue May 01, 2007 4:20 pm

katkin

Postby celestialdude » Tue May 01, 2007 4:35 pm

celestialdude

Postby atlantis_child » Mon May 07, 2007 7:57 pm

atlantis_child

Postby Aquaseafoam » Mon May 21, 2007 1:06 am

Aquaseafoam

Postby atlantis_child » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:39 pm

I tried basically what the guy in the website that Aquaseafoam posted and hardly got any at all. Only about 20 the first 24 hours and maybe double after 48.

Don't know what I did wrong. Will try again though. It might have been the salt I used. It's got some weird chemical in it (as well as sugar, for some strange reason...)
My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby L168 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:54 pm

L168

Postby atlantis_child » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 pm

I had to buy special salt from the fish store as ALL regular salt is required to have iodine in it in Canada.

Haven't tried it out yet. Tried with normal salt, but didn't get to many. Then got clumsy and splilt what I did have over carpet. Oops...
My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby ste12000 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:55 pm

Following on from the correct advice from L168, try and keep them warm 70f-80f, do not go too warm though or they all die.
I moved my hatchery from waist height to a shelf that is head height, hot air rises and i got two batches of hatched but dead shrimp!! I am trying to work out if they died when i cut off the air and left them to settle before syphoning them out?? The still fed the fry and they were happy to eat them?
If you do not want to, or cannot continuously be hatching BBS, do one big huge hatch and filter the shrimp into cold fresh water as soon as they hatch and then into small icecube trays. Place them into the freezer and hey-presto a years supply of very fresh BBS.. Best thing is you know exactly what you are feeding your fish.
ste12000

Postby chr15_8 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:45 pm

chr15_8

Postby ste12000 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm

ste12000

Postby chr15_8 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:04 pm

yep i use ebay have my own account now im 18 :D lol

i still need to get the fry food from there as well

thanks
chris
chr15_8

Postby L168 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:08 pm

I get my eggs from this site, he speaks perfect english too.

Mfg Peter
L168

Next

Return to Feeding