[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Outdoor tubbin with CPD?

Outdoor tubbin with CPD?

Discussions about ideal tank conditions for this fish: temperature, water, tankmates, lighting, aquarium plants, etc.

Postby plymbloke » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:07 pm

any more updates? :D what do you feed your fish on and how often?
plymbloke

Postby Aquaseafoam » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Sorry, I have been away!
All the CPDs are inside now. The adult pair, especially the male looks amazing! I've tried to get good pictures to no avail- they are hard fish to photograph to say the least.
I didn't feed them anything outside, they ate organisms in the water and probably lots of mosquito larvae.
When I brought them inside (it gets too cold to leave them out) I had the original pair, and at least 15 or so juvie/fry. Hard to count them, I just drained most of the water out of the tub and then dumped the rest.. moss, shrimp, snails and fish into a 20 gallon tank. The moss basically fills the 20 gallon tank.
I bought 6 new fish from the LFS, hoping to introduce new genes- I bought them out last time and this is the first shipment of CPD they've gotten since.
Now I still can't count the fish, but it seems like even more. It could be that they are now comfortable in the tank and come to the front like piranhas to eat!
Now I'm feeding them flakes (beefheart, earthworm, spirulina) and they eat some tetramin tablets meant for the shrimp/snails. I've been meaning to get some live blackworms for a while now. I feed them once a day.

I'll post the pictures I did manage to get in the photo forum ;)
Aquaseafoam

Postby Mars » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Any update? Where are the pics of CPD???

I've had some guppy's in the tub this summer and they were doing great but water was very green so I couldn't see the fish...
Mars

Postby tedr108 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:01 am

Thanks to my reading this thread a while back, I set up a couple of outdoor tubs last summer -- I live in Los Angeles, CA. I didn't actually put adult CPDs in them, but I did rescue a couple of fry from my main tank and put them in the tubs. Both fry did very well with no feeding at all and are now healthy adults living back in the main tank. I put shrimp in my CPD tank at one point and unfortunately do not get fry any longer.

It is now too cold to keep fish in my outdoor tubs, but next year I will start early in the season and try to breed some adult CPDs. These little CPDs are amazingly tough -- they are a good fit for outdoor tubbing.

The main plants in my tubs were hyacinths and water lettuce and anacharis (loose) -- nothing fancy, but the water stayed very clear and healthy. I also had some of those little floating plants, whatever they are called.
Regards,
Ted
tedr108

Postby Luke* » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:09 am

great reading thanks! i was just thinking about doing this down here in new zealand over summer. one question is we should ask is is the yield higher spawning them outside than inside? inside you can use an egg trap, breed a pair, then remove the parents... this could be done outside too though. anyway hopefully i will find out :)
Luke*

Postby tedr108 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 am

I was wondering the same thing, Luke. I'll probably try both. However, no matter where the fry are born, I am taking them out to the outdoor tubs to grow up, just like last year. It is very convenient to not have to feed those little guys all the time. I'm sure it is also very healthy for them to be living completely off of live food and to be in the sun.

I raised 3 types of fry in the outdoor tubs last year (CPDs, long-finned danios, and one betta). When there was a high concentration of fry in one tub, I started feeding them at about 1/2", since I wasn't sure there was enough live food available in the tub.
Regards,
Ted
tedr108

Postby Aquaseafoam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:56 am

Aquaseafoam

Postby Tom2006 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:33 am

Tom2006

Postby ferreter » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”
ferreter

Postby BallAquatics » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 pm