[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Looking for some advice

Looking for some advice

Discussions about ideal tank conditions for this fish: temperature, water, tankmates, lighting, aquarium plants, etc.

Looking for some advice

Postby tlyons01 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:21 am

Hello, I am new to the forum as well as new to CPD keeping. I mail order purchased a group of 7 about 2 weeks ago. They arrived looking pale, but other wise very nice, I was impressed with them as I had never seen them in person. Initially I placed them in my 46 gallon community tank. Moderately planted with peaceful inhabitants. I have slowly, almost one by one lost each of them. When I finally caught on that something was amiss, I would see them with clamped fins staying hidden most of the time. I removed the remaining 4 to my QT 10 gallon that was heavily planted and have lost one more, though I had expected that as it had clamped fins when I moved him. As of yesterday, I moved the last 3 to another planted tank, because I am breaking down the 10 gal. This is to be their permanent tank. One has been hiding since the move.

My water pretty hard, right outta the tap and my ph is 7.8 outta the tap. I normally don't try and mess with the parameters, as I have never purchased fish that required different params. However, i really like the CPD's and would like to get more. That being said, I do not want to purchase more only to watch them die off one by one. That is never fun.

Any advice would certainly be appreciated as well as any insight on keeping these little ones from kicking the bucket. I'm at a loss.

(I also purchased 6 Dario Hysginon and 14 Boraras brigittae from the same vendor and haven't lost any of them)
tlyons01

Re: Looking for some advice

Postby BallAquatics » Wed May 23, 2012 7:36 am

Hi tlyons01, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your losses. It's been my experience that unless you have a very large group of CPD's they do much better in smaller tanks. Also, if you happened to get wild caught fish, they may need some special attention to feeding starting out. Have you noticed them eating? What have you been offering them to eat?

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby tlyons01 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 am

Dennis, Thank you for your response. Honestly I have no idea if they were wild caught, but I would say the chances are pretty high. I had been offering them a basic flake food, and I have tried frozen daphnia on 2 occasions, one of those being yesterday. I just received a sample package of Something Staple S that they seemed to like. My tanks have been running for quite a while so I would suspect that there are the normal micro stuff for them to hunt. The last 2 that I am watching seem to be doing very well. There is a third that I cannot find today yet, but will hunt that one out when it is feeding time.

Do you think that having hard water might have anything to do with it? I tried to acclimate them over a period of 12 hours or so. I am waiting to hear from one of our LFS on whether or not they can order some for me, I will only get from them if they can leave them bagged when they arrive since their tanks ALWAYS have ich...I definitely want more, but if my water isn't good for them, I will not order any more.
What do you suggest for feeding? I do not have any worm cultures and though I think it's icky, I might get into that if it would benefit them. I would need to research them out first though...

Again, Thank you
Regards, Therese
tlyons01

Postby tlyons01 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 am

I actually am reading over the feeding section for ideas
tlyons01

Postby BallAquatics » Wed May 23, 2012 11:51 am

BallAquatics
Site Admin

Return to Habitat