[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - My new plant....

My new plant....

Discuss your favorite water plants, and how to best grow them, here!

My new plant....

Postby shepherd_690 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:38 pm

:D hey ive just bought a plant of ebay...not come yet but its called riccia fluitans, it was originaly a floating plant but the one i have bought is w8d dwn. :) I was just wondering has any1 ever kept this plant, and what are the cool exotic plants that every1 has..as i want to make a planted tank.....but full of weird n wunderful plants lol
:P
shepherd_690

Postby shepherd_690 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:40 pm

another name for it is crystalwort n the leaves on it catch oxygen bubbles lol here a pic for it if u havnt heard or seen it b4
http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_riccia.php
shepherd_690

Postby maximumbob » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:38 pm

It was a plant made famous by Takashi amano.

Its a bit of a nitrate sponge so to speak, but given the right conditions grows well as a carpet.

If you actually get the conditions correct it can almost take over the tank!

I generally have quite normal plants.. the rarer ones I have are fissidens moss, the petite version of anubias, and maybe pogostemon helferi.
maximumbob

Postby celestialdude » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:57 am

Aha yes Riccia fluitans! I've had some experience with this plant.

The problem with it is that it doesn't really stay rooted, and is more of a floating plant. You need lots of constant maintenance to get it to stay as a carpet, using some kind of weight mesh, with the Riccia sandwiched.

After some time I gave up on the idea and got rid of most of my Riccia (too much work). There is still some floating in my tank, which grows very quickly and needs removal (I leave some behind so it's not all gone). There's also some that got caught in my Java moss and grows nicely in it, being a lighter green too.

If anyone has any good tips on how to best care for this plant, please share!
celestialdude

Postby chadly » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:13 am

chadly

Postby ste12000 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:17 pm

ste12000

Postby shepherd_690 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:31 pm

shepherd_690

Postby ste12000 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:52 pm

ste12000

Postby maximumbob » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:47 am

maximumbob

Return to Aquatic Plants Discussion