[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - A few questions for the live plant cult...

A few questions for the live plant cult...

Discuss your favorite water plants, and how to best grow them, here!

A few questions for the live plant cult...

Postby atlantis_child » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:35 pm

So I gave in a little and now 2 of my 3 tanks have real plants only. I only bought two though. The rest were from before. It just looks much better now. ;)

Anyway,

1. Do I need special 'plant' lights or are regular ones fine? These are "easy" and minimal light plants

2. What wattage for a 22? (16 inches high)

3. Is it the lack of light that causes leaves to get soft, brown and rot?

I'll post pic's soon. Maybe that will help. Besides, I need to show off my renovations. :)

- Atlantis
My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby Crazedpuffer » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:24 am

1. All you need is fluorescent bulbs.

2. It depends on the plants.
Basically all fresh water plants live in anywhere from 1-3(.5?)Watts per Gallon of light. Low light plants live from .1-1.5 medium from 1.6 2.5 high 2.5 -3.5

3. Yes most the time
Crazedpuffer

Postby celestialdude » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Yay!! Awesome, Atlantis! Welcome to the plant club... or "cult"... haha.

You can start with the fluorescents if they are cheaper and easier to get, but if you notice that the plants aren't doing that great then I recommend plant grow fluorescent lights, or "full spectrum" ones. I always go with the proper ones and not regular fluorescents because, welll, that's what cults do. HAHA!!

Cheers and enjoy the plants.
celestialdude

Postby atlantis_child » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:26 pm

My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby aquaholic85 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:54 am

Ryan
75G Demasoni & Yellow Lab
20G Community: CPDs, Neons, Rasbora Maculatas, Norman Lamp Eye
aquaholic85

Postby atlantis_child » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:39 am

Another question.

How do you keep the substrate at the bottom free of organic sludge without disturbing the plants?

- Atlantis
atlantis_child

Postby celestialdude » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:20 am

Good question Atlantis. This is why I keep Cory Cats. They are small and cute and don't uproot any plants, and do their job "vacuming" the substrate.

Also, I'm not sure if substrate grain size is a factor too... it should be small enough that they can shift around easily, I think. And round enough too. Basically, river sand is naturally "sifty" and helps prevent all that clogging.
celestialdude

Postby shepherd_690 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:27 pm

shepherd_690

Postby ste12000 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:36 pm

ste12000

Postby celestialdude » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:51 pm

celestialdude

Postby shepherd_690 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:46 pm

shepherd_690

Postby ste12000 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:51 pm

ste12000

Postby shepherd_690 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:05 pm