[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Dwarf Sunset Platies!

Dwarf Sunset Platies!

Discuss breeding topics on your (other) favorite fishes here.

Dwarf Sunset Platies!

Postby atlantis_child » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:20 pm

Still getting ready, not even got tank set up, LOL, but excited to start breeding these little cuties. Brightly colored, easy to breed (livebearers... :roll: ) and on my stupidsest fish list, but love them.

Thinking of way to divide tank in two so I can keep adults on one side, babies on other...It's a 22 gallon, so very big for those little guys. sure it'll fill up though ;)

I don't have very much space in my other tank to keep the platies, small as they are.

Anyone know if it's true that females can give birth continously, not just in broods? I know they can store sperm. Though that won't be a problem in my platy tank.

Comments and/or advice?

- Atlantis
My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:53 pm

Also, what would be the best food for baby dwarf platies? WOuld they need, like, inforsoria (sp?) to begin with, or is that too small? What about dried bloodworms crushed to a powder? :?: (it floats...)

- Atlantis
My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby ste12000 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi Atlantis i can help with a few of your questions. Firstly for a tank divider, do you know anything about cross stitching?? (yeah i can see all the lads thinking "what the F*@k" ste's lost the plot) :roll:
I was looking for a spawning grid for the bottom of my tanks and stumbled upon a plastic canvas mesh used in Cross stitching. It might be useful as a divider if you want to look into it.
Your platys should produce a brood every month but all on the same day never continuously. They can store sperm and i have been experimenting with endlers guppies, mine from one mating have produced 6 broods so far, the two females were virgin and then in contact with a male for a day before he was removed, they show no sign of slowing down and produce their brood after 31 days, i use tons of java moss to give cover for the fry.
All livebearer fry are large from the moment they are born, because if you think about it they were born inside the female and have been feeding for about 3 weeks. Mine take crushed flake, tiny pellets and love baby brine shrimp and microworm..Let me know how you get on or if i can be any more help..
ste12000

Postby atlantis_child » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:04 pm

Yeah, I heard about the cross-stiching stuff. I'll try to get some as I'm rather short on cash (and my parents are getting tired of me spending money on fish stuff...) ;)

I plan on highly (fakely) vegetating the side with the very pregnant females so their fry can hide till the moms are done, although according to one source the adults usually leave the fry alone. Platies are rather vegetarian, but I'm not going to take the chance.

The other side, also pretty and vegetated will house my three males and the non-very pregnant females. Might divide it further in three sections if I get generations that are very different in size.

It's a relief to hear that giving birth continously was an internet myth. That would be highly inconvenient.

Thanx ste.

- Atlantis
atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Darn. Looks like I was sold a female and a male insted of two females. :roll: Hope I can get an exchange, otherwise it will be a ratio of 4 M : 2 F.

Not good.

I checked them over when the fish were bagged and commented that one looked male, but the sale's lady was certain, and it was difficult to tell through the bag.

Weird thing is, the male isn't going after the female. I'm pretty sure she's pregnant already, just not sure how long it's been. Her belly is quite big, she swims pretty slowly, and tends to stay near the bottom. Does not look at all like swim bladder disorder though, not like I've had before anyways.

If I posted a picture would someone be able to verify? That'd be really helpful. The last thing I want right now is a birth in quarintine before the "fish bench" and platy aquarium is set up. But if it happens, it happens.

Wish they kept the males and females seperate at the store.

Then again, all the tanks don't have lids and the water level is high, so fish of different species end up in the wrong tank. :roll: Plus all diseases can be spread throughout all the tanks!

This is not my local, family owned petstore of course. It's a big chain store. The former has been closed for renovations, and is partially open, but not the fish room.

Don't think they have these fish though. Hopefully this is where I'll be selling the babies after the reach maturity. It's a good place for fish. The staff are really good ( except the common delusion with bettas :roll: )

But I've never had problems with the fish from there.

And the snail I got there lived quite a few monthes before dying ( after I inroduced another from a different source, they had lids, then both died...)

For some reason snails do not do well in my aquriums. Son't know why. There's plenty of yummy algae and stuff.
Well, actually platies like it too.

Wow, I've been rambleing... :wink:

- Atlantis
atlantis_child

Postby ste12000 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Yes you have been rambling... Its ok though my wife is the same so im used to it by now...Post your pics and ill tell you what sex your platys are...
ste12000

Postby atlantis_child » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:16 pm

Well actually, in all that ramble I was asking if someone could tell if the female I got was pregnant already... ;)

I can tell a male from female if I get a good look (which is not looking inside a small bag with writing all over at panicing little fishies.) But when more at ease, well geez, they're livebearers. They can't exactly hide their gender.

I was a bit anxious to get out of there after my "dispute" with another sale's dude.

No, that Mr. is going back to the store without getting his picture taken.

- Atlantis
atlantis_child

Postby ste12000 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:03 am

Yes i read about your 'dispute' in your other thread, why not tell his boss that he is an absolute idiot and that you are looking for a new job :wink:
I didnt realise you wanted to know if she was pregnant, take it as granted that if she has been in a tank with males and water and if their are no problems with the female(headache) then she will be pregnant.
The problem with livebearers soon becomes one of tank management rather than trying to breed them.
Check the gravid spot near to her anal vent and if it is large and black and the female is nicely rounded before eating then she is pregnant.
How large are your fish??
You are in a good position now to experiment! I would wait for babies, seperate the males as soon as spotted, and let the females remain virgin, then you are in control of when/who spawns. You can then count down the days and know exactly how long your fish carry their young before dropping. I am doing a similar experiment with Endlers and am learning plenty of things first hand, i am able to pick out large virgin females and the best male. After one day the male is removed and she drops exactly 31 days later, she has currently dropped 6 broods from one mating and is pregnant again now, broods are averaging around 20-25 with a split of sexes around 50-50. My endlers are kept on the cooler bottom shelf of the fishroom with a water temp of 72-75f.

Good luck...
ste12000

Postby atlantis_child » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:14 pm

atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:03 pm

atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:37 pm

atlantis_child

Postby chr15_8 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:04 pm

good luck with them.

what other fish are in the tank?
chr15_8

Postby ste12000 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:33 pm

Have you figured out the divider yet?? why is it moving?
Finrot is usually caused by suspect water quality, i would recomend cleaning the filter sponges and changing 50% of your water, after that change 20% daily for a week and youll notice a difference. GOOD LUCK..
ste12000

Postby atlantis_child » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:19 pm

atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Got a third female today. Came to look at how the ones that came in were (runts, mostly), plus it was near a craft store I'd gone to,. But she was a beauty, so I had to get her. :)

Gorgeous orange color, doesn't look pregnant... but who can tell? :roll:

I'm going to put her in with my best male for a few days anyways, I think.

- Atlantis
atlantis_child

Return to Species Breeding