[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - My cats are hiding...

My cats are hiding...

Species-specific discussions on freshwater fishes.

My cats are hiding...

Postby atlantis_child » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:16 pm

My newly set up tank mainly for my corys seems just awesome for the 6 pygmy catfish, but my Bronze, "Gold Green" and Pepper hide much of the time.

I got a Julii today (I couldn't resist, what a cutie...). He/she seems to be active and doing the normal cat thing. No prob there.

Any idea what these cats need to feel comfortable to come out and act like their normal selves. Wondering expecially about Miss Peppered. Usually she is in constant action. Now she's hiding under the pathetic bit of java moss sitting on the bottom.

Any ideas?

- Atlantis
My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby celestialdude » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:40 pm

Ah yes!! The key thing is that these fishies are schoolers, so they will feel more comfortable when there are 6 or more of their "conspecifics" -- e.g. same species. However, from my experience, I've never had more than 2 of a species, and I have 7 cory cats in total, and they're a lively bunch. They seem to enjoy each other's company. I've got 2 Peppered, 2 Julii, 2 Sterba's and 1 Orange Laser (or Bronze is it?). So try that... get more of their friends and that should do the trick.

Also, make sure you feed them sinking wafers, including algae tablets...
celestialdude

Postby celestialdude » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Oh sorry I just re-read your post and you said you have 6 already? Hmm... the other thing also is that the substrate cannot be sharp/jagged but must be smooth particles. Lots of factors...
celestialdude

Postby atlantis_child » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 am

I have fine rounded gravel with smooth rocks of varying rocks. Plants and cover too. I might have too many rocks, not sure the Cats like them. The 'Kittens" love to perch of them on though.

My Peppered was in the same tank with the same gravel, with slate. She really seemed to like it.

So do corys care that they are a different species? Like a bronze like to be with more broze cats never mind what and how many other cory things are around?

I wish I could more cats, but can't add too many fish to the tanks. I need space for growing out young platys and galaxies when they grow out of their pens.

I just fed them and they're comeing out en masse.
My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Hmm... My Julii cat doesn't seem to be growing any more. He's about 3 cm I think, maybe even 2.5

Atlantis
atlantis_child

Postby celestialdude » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Frozen bloodworms will fatten 'er up!! :D
celestialdude

Postby atlantis_child » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Yeah...long as my 7 cm peppered doesn't gobble them up first. ;)

Actually, I remember the poor little guy doen't have barbels too. That probably doesn't help at all.

- Atlantis
atlantis_child

Return to Species Discussion