[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Mystery snail mystery

Mystery snail mystery

If you're new to aquariums, or would like to discuss general aquarium topics, this is it.

Mystery snail mystery

Postby atlantis_child » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:11 pm

atlantis_child

Postby Aquaseafoam » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Aquaseafoam

Postby atlantis_child » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:33 am

atlantis_child

Postby Aquaseafoam » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:02 pm

Aquaseafoam

Postby atlantis_child » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:33 pm

atlantis_child

Postby Darkmoon Bettas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:50 pm

The egg clusters are big and pink, like wads of bubblegum, and laid above the waterline, like so:

As stated, the clutches usually contain a couple hundred little snails, so only seeing 4 is unusual. They're usually very visible on the tank sides, although you'll occasionally get them laid on a filter part or the inside of a hood, which makes them easier to miss. Check the glass and hood insides for any "residue". If there was a brig egg clutch there, there should still be a faint trace of pink circles left there, dried up, kind of like sea foam on the sand.

Is there any chance the "baby" snails are actually young "pond snails" that came in on plants or something? Those often come in in tiny, nearly invisible jelly-like clusters on live plants. Those clusters are much smaller, usually 20-30. Unless the babies look like PERFECT miniatures of the adults--shell shape, antennae, color--they're probably not baby brigs.
Darkmoon Bettas

Postby atlantis_child » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:55 pm

I have not seen, nor see any pink stuff above the water level, but I scrubbed up there without really looking recently, before I saw the snails.

They look just like their parents in shape, they are just a pale color with gold. Except one, who is a bit bigger. That one's mostly brown.

I don't think they are pest snails. I've gotten those before with plants, and actually just found one today. They're such a nuisance, especially considering how expensive plants are at my local pet store. :evil:
I crush them and put them in the other tank with my ever-hungry betta, white clouds and catfish.
atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:46 pm

Alright. Now I'm really getting worried something's wrong in the tank. My other snail (Nigle) has died too. :(

At least, I'm pretty sure. It's been lying on it's back, slightly open, but when I gave it a little poke everyday it closed up. Now it doesn't move at all.

The galaxies and baby snails seem fin. The snails I'm not so worried about, but I'd be heartbroken if any of the fish died. :cry:
atlantis_child

Postby Aquaseafoam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:44 pm

If you suspect any more snails of being near death, go ahead and place them in a seperate container so they won't foul the water when they die. If your snail doesn't close his shell when you pick it up or touch its foot- it is dead.
:( sorry bout your snails...
Aquaseafoam

Postby atlantis_child » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks Aquaseafoam,
I put Nigle (or her dead body) into a jar of aquarium water just to make sure she's truly dead before I bury her next to her mate.

They were the only two snails I bought. Now it's up to those babies to grow up and eat the algae. I'm not buying another snail from the petstore for a while. I don't know what killed these two, and I wouldn't want another to suffer the same fate.
atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:26 pm

I found two more snails, bringing the total number to six.
atlantis_child

Postby atlantis_child » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 pm

My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Return to General Aquaria