[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - DIY CO2 diffuser

DIY CO2 diffuser

If you're new to aquariums, or would like to discuss general aquarium topics, this is it.

DIY CO2 diffuser

Postby L777 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:08 am

Here's one for the live plant cult :wink: ...

It's a link to a great site. The specific page is how to build a carbon dioxide reactor, to enhance plant growth, using less than $10 worth of materials. Cheap and home-spun, so nothing like the fancy automated and pressurized units, but simple, cheap, and effective!

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/10/bui ... rator.html

Anyone out there have any experience with these home-built jobs (or recommendations for more expensive commercial units)?
Dean
9 adult (F0) CPDs; over 125 fry
L777

Postby maximumbob » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:27 am

This is very similar to the one I have made.

I use a 2 litre fizzy drink container. One additional thing I would use is some blue tac around the top of the bottle lid to help give an airtight seal.

The mix I use is 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 tsp of bakers yeast (you can also use brewers yeast)

I pour out 500 mls of boiling hot water, mix in the 2 cups of water until dissolved, then add cold water until it reaches 1000ml and then leave to cool to room temp. I then add the yeast and leave open over night. When you first get the CO2 there is a huge boost for the first 24hrs or so, and its best to leave it out of the tank as the rapid change in ph could stress your fish.

You can use a limewood diffuser or even a ceramic diffuser - personally I recommend the rhinox diffusers. I use them on both pressurised and DIY systems with good results.
maximumbob

Postby L777 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:56 pm

Dean
L777

Postby maximumbob » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:24 pm

maximumbob

Postby L777 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Dean
L777

Postby maximumbob » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 am

Cool.. you're a chemistry dude. I may have a few questions for you :-)

The estimative index is a simple method which tries to avoid a lot of complexities and testing of tank water when growing plants.

Its main proponent in Tom Barr, who in a similar method to Diana Walstad, has used scientific methodology to explore the management of a planted aquarium.

An introduction to his method is

But basically his theory is if you supply nutrients in excess to the plants they will grow unhindered and out compete algae for resources. This excess of nutrients is kept in check by large volume water changes.
hope this points you in the right direction ...
maximumbob

Postby L777 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Well, actually my lab was mostly solid state stuff (predominantly x-ray and thermo techniques), so I really meant it when I only said I knew *something* about aqueous chem. :oops:

Nice to see the dosing given in terms of mL and teaspoons -- no access to the nice analytical scales anymore, and having a high precision scale "around the house" just doesn't look good! :o

If I can keep picking your brain, what's your favorite source of KNO3 and KH2PO4?
Last edited by L777 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
L777

Postby Algenco » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:24 pm

Algenco

Postby maximumbob » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:05 pm

maximumbob

Postby L777 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:46 pm

maximumbob and algenco,
many thanks for the leads. Looks like plenty of info to get started.

Also, I just finally noticed this thread that celestialdude started a couple of months ago over in the aquatic plants section:

http://www.celestialpearldanio.com/viewtopic.php?t=555

(where he gives great instructions, complete with pictures, on how to make, of all things, a DIY CO2 reactor! :oops: )

I suppose more follow-ons to this thread ought to jump back over there instead!
Dean
L777

Postby celestialdude » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:46 am

Haha yes, I posted that a while back. Still, it's good to share ideas on the optimum design for a CO2 reactor. Keep em coming!
celestialdude

Return to General Aquaria