[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Chris' African/mbuna Journal

Chris' African/mbuna Journal

If you're new to aquariums, or would like to discuss general aquarium topics, this is it.

Postby chr15_8 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:43 pm

thanks ste. i had a nasty thought a few weeks ago when a few of my cpd's passed away of changing there tank to a pair/trio to a nice dwarf. but after i changed the tank around i love them to bits again.

i also want a bigger malawi tank already! (going to let them grow and say to my mum they need a bigger tank and play it that way) mmmm say around 5/6ft x2x2?

chris
chr15_8

Postby aquaholic85 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:17 am

Ryan
75G Demasoni & Yellow Lab
20G Community: CPDs, Neons, Rasbora Maculatas, Norman Lamp Eye
aquaholic85

Postby chr15_8 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:08 am

chr15_8

Postby chr15_8 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:20 pm

chr15_8

Postby chr15_8 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:56 pm

some piccy's :D

the pump for the ugj

front view of the rock

right hand side

left hand side

view from the right hand side of the tank as you come into the room
chr15_8

Postby Crazedpuffer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Nice! can't wait to see it totally finished with fish and all.
Crazedpuffer

Postby ste12000 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:10 pm

Thats looking fantastic. I cant wait to see it with fish!!! A question for aquaholic85 are shell dwellers Neolamprologus multifasciatus ect suitable for mixing with Mbuna??
Neolamprologus are the closest to south American dwarf cichlids that lake Tanganyika has.
ste12000

Postby aquaholic85 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:38 pm

ste12000
personally never have that kept Neolamprologus multifasciatus , but i would never mix the two, and just would never mix mbuna or shelldwellers in the same tank...maybe labs but thats it. Mbuna are crazy diggers and just would reign hell on the shellies, esp with size difference. Neolamprologus multifasciatus only grow max 2in so no way would be able to contend against the constant harrassment of mbuna.

shellies breed tho, and whats nice some are pairing fish,
ste you ever keep african cichlids?
Ryan
aquaholic85

Postby chr15_8 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:26 pm

ive added 6 yellow lab. today

just got to think about what other kind to put in there.

not sure if ive already said it but i beleive i was told on cichlid forum that i could add M. Cyaneorhabdos (5-8)?

also is there any chance of adding labidochromis sp.Mbamba?

thanks
chris
chr15_8

Postby aquaholic85 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:42 pm

Melanochromis in general i found are very aggressive and wouldn't put them in your tank they need some 'space' as they can get pretty crazy. I would go with the mbamba in stead, plus they look alot cooler.

your tank looks good, in the future your gonnna need to make bigger caves, as your fish grow. also remember that your fish will breed so, either get some sort of syno, catfish to reduce the fry population when that time comes, or be perpared to fish out the fry. trust me when i first started to get fry thought it was the coolest, but if you don't control them than your tank will be overstocked and soon will be pulling out your hair.

question did you rinse the slate super good? slate is all layered rock and lots of dirt gets in there.

so good luck and get us some pics
Ryan
aquaholic85

Postby chr15_8 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:04 pm

thanks

will the labidochromis mix at all? i mean the yellows and the mbamba

i like the mbamba as well looks good in most the pics ive seen.

the slate
i gave it a rinse and a brush down while rinsing.

the water stats
i tested again the results stayed the same except the ammonia which was down to 0! i done a 50% waterchange and after just before i put the fish in it was still reading 0!

i tested the lfs water as soon as i got back the ph is identical to mine however there ammonia was reading between 0.25-0.5

chris
thanks for all the help aswell
chr15_8

Postby ste12000 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:00 pm

ste12000

Postby chr15_8 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:01 pm

chr15_8

Postby aquaholic85 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:54 pm

Whats up with this tank bro?? when we gonna see some more pics?? My demasoni are starting to over populate my tank...gonna have to fish some out looks like...
Ryan
aquaholic85

Postby chr15_8 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:32 pm

alright

surpose i better update it then

the tanks doing very well at the moment

as i said i added some afra's

these pics where taken a few hours after i added them. they look alot different now. all the fish seem to be getting on very well.

chris
chr15_8

Previous

Return to General Aquaria