[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - The hidden secrets of hair/string algae removal

The hidden secrets of hair/string algae removal

If you're new to aquariums, or would like to discuss general aquarium topics, this is it.

The hidden secrets of hair/string algae removal

Postby celestialdude » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:11 pm

There are 2 very effective algae eaters that I've discovered :

Apparently this is still a "hidden secret" and it took me a while to find these helpful critters.

I just saw one of my Florida Flagfish swallowing a long string of algae. They will actually tug at the strings and eat them.

The Yamato shrimp are also busily picking at them. Industrious little guys.

Highly recommended for any tank for string / hair algae control!
celestialdude

Postby celestialdude » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:16 pm

Oh yes, another note... most of the Internet will try to recommend you fish like Siamese / Chinese Algae Eaters, or Flying Foxes. Apparently these guys are really not that effective. Also, they need quite a bit of space and are not ideal in small tank setups. Also I find that most snails don't eat string / hair algae.
celestialdude

Postby ste12000 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:07 pm

Yep most of the shrimp species will eat algae, also how about bristlenose plecs?? They keep algae in check and dont grow large, 4 inches is the largest iv seen in a aquarium. They are also easy to breed, if you have a mature pair then you do not need to encourage them. Once you have fry you will never suffer with algae again and you can cash them in at the local shop, then you can buy a phosphate remover to sort your water out and stop algae taking over :D :lol:
ste12000

Postby celestialdude » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:42 pm

Tx for the tip ste12000.

Yeah I had heard of bristlenose plecos, but never really considered it because I'm looking for tiny fish/crustaceans to do the job, given that I have small setups.

Also, hmm yeah I should look into the phosphates issue.
celestialdude

Postby Crazedpuffer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:13 pm

Crazedpuffer

Postby atlantis_child » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:19 pm

My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby ste12000 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:27 pm

ste12000

Return to General Aquaria