[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Why does biological filter media need to be replaced?

Why does biological filter media need to be replaced?

If you're new to aquariums, or would like to discuss general aquarium topics, this is it.

Why does biological filter media need to be replaced?

Postby celestialdude » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:07 pm

celestialdude

Postby L168 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:15 pm

L168

Postby celestialdude » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks Peter.

That would make sense... I guess since these pores are tiny it would be impossible to rinse them thoroughly.

Just trying to see how much of it is marketing hype, and how much of it I can avoid (thus saving money). Oh well, I guess I shall have to do it then.
celestialdude

Postby ste12000 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:40 pm

I think it is all marketing bulls"*t.. If you replace biological media after 3 months you are effectivly starting a new tank four times a year.You then have to worry about no biological media for upto six weeks while your tank cycles.
My best tanks have had the same biological media for over five years with no water quality problems at all, in fact my discus spawn in there weekly ( they eat there eggs but that is another story).
I have a large external filter on this tank that has not been changed/cleaned for over 12 months and my water has never been so stable, it is that good that last time i cleaned the filter i found a large corydoras that had obviously been sucked in as an egg and was a fully formed adult when found :lol:
Remember the best aquarists keep water not fish......get the water right and you'll find the hobby really easy.
ste12000

Return to General Aquaria