[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - How Do You Euthanize Fish?

How Do You Euthanize Fish?

If you're new to aquariums, or would like to discuss general aquarium topics, this is it.

How Do You Euthanize Fish?

Postby Lissa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:21 pm

I was just curious what other fish-keepers use to "put down" their fish. It's sad when it happens, but I'm always curious what others use when a fish its too far gone to save.

I hit upon a mixture of cod liver oil and vodka a few years ago that has worked really, really well. The local fish importer suggested it as a (apparently) painless way of euthanasia for fish.

I have a customer that has a "smashing rock". I'm not sure I'd have the stomach for that, especially since she keeps large South American cichlids. Ugh.

What do you use?
Lissa

Postby yim11 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Most vets suggest decapitation but I freeze mine. Bag em up and put into freezer, remove and discard on trash day.

HTHs,
-jim
yim11

Postby atlantis_child » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:14 pm

When I worked at the pet shop in the fish room I cut off or smushed their heads. Freezer is alright if it's just yours. But a nasty shock to open the freezer to get something and it's full of bags of dead fish. :evil:

People say they dont feel themselves getting cold and dying, but I think it must still suck for the fish. Even if it's just the being stuck in a small bag of water for so long before death.

I cut off the head and destroy the brain. The fish's head still seems alive for quite a while after, and it's really un-nerving.

AC
My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby Tom2006 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

freezer is a very bad method I my opinion. Water expands when it freezes slowly and so your fish will die slowly and from a quite nasty death as all the cells freeze and expand!

The best method that I use and the quickest is just to flick the head of a small fish like a danio or tetra. Anything larger I place in a suitable bag and hit it as hard as I can on a hard surface, never had this fail, kills the fish outright.
Tom2006

Postby atlantis_child » Fri May 07, 2010 12:34 pm

My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby theemon » Fri May 21, 2010 12:47 am

i stab the eye/head with a barb-b-q squew (long bamboo stick) then the fish becomes food
theemon

Postby Larsvb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:04 am

Larsvb

Return to General Aquaria