[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Are Yours Scared Of You?

Are Yours Scared Of You?

Discussions on temperament, schooling, territoriality, and other behavior.

Are Yours Scared Of You?

Postby Jimbo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:14 am

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:17 am

Jimbo

Postby ste12000 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:48 am

Jimbo this same thing has been bugging me for ages. Mine were in a small quarantine tank for two weeks when i bought them. They were extremly nervous and didnt come out much even with the room light off and me sitting ten foof away.
I then placed them in a 140litre tank which is 2ft wide and 2ft deep, they were like another species altogether, bold,confident and didnt even flinch if i pressed my nose up against the glass. This tank held various tetras and pencilfish and some floating plants.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvGe9O52ruM
You have seen my shed (fish-house) and i have just moved the CPD's into a tank of their own with the hope of breeding them at last.. As soon as they went in they have hid at the back and will not come out even for bloodworm or flake, they wait until the food reaches the back before eating.
I think it may be something about feeling exposed?? maybe in the wild they live in huge shoals of hundreds or even thousands? after all, they must be near the bottom of the foodchain in their natural waters, and the fish we are keeping are essentially wild or f1 generation.
I am going to experiment with large shoals against small, when or if i get any fry.
ste12000

Postby Jimbo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:14 pm

Hey. Funnily enough, when I first bought my first 2 batches they were in my Rio 125 and I didn't have this problem. They didn't seem bothered by my presence at all. Maybe it's the size of the tank they're in and them feeling unable to swim away anywhere? :?
Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Then again the CPD's in a Nano Cube on the counter at Maidenhead in Stockport seemed completely oblivious to humans. Whereabouts in Cheshire are you from ste1200?
Jimbo

Postby ste12000 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:22 pm

After posting my last message iv been out to the fishroom and my celestials are spawning all over the tank :D :lol: :wink: iv got it all on video and will post a link later..that blows my theory out of the water lol.
Im in Runcorn (Cheshire) Near both Liverpool and Manchester..
ste12000

Postby Jimbo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:30 pm

Ha! Congratulations! :D I live just outside Chester.
Jimbo

Postby atlantis_child » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:28 pm

My Corys: 3 Green Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 Albino, 1 Melanitius, 2 Metae, 1 Elegans, 1 Panda, 2 Peppered)
wow, 13...it's been a while since I counted them up... (And yes, they all have names ;) )
atlantis_child

Postby ste12000 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:27 am

ste12000

Postby chr15_8 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:01 am

chr15_8

bump

Postby thomasN » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:51 pm

I've had my CPD for a couple weeks now and they are still scared and hide behind plants. I have a group of 5 in 10gallon.
thomasN

Postby hrynkiw » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:07 pm

For what it's worth: I got a group of 8 Galaxies/CPDs several months ago. Through a series of unfortunate events, only one has survived. (It was an awful couple of weeks.)

They (and the remaining one) consistently hid in the foliage at the back of the 10gal tank; I rarely saw any of them. I moved three Zebra Danios and a couple of Pygmy Corydoras into the tank to keep the CPD company. She still hid at the back of the tank; I rarely saw her.

About six weeks ago I added four more Zebra Danios, even though I was concerned that they might chase the CPD the way they tend to chase each other.

Well! What a difference. My little CPD was obviously just waiting for the party to begin. She's often out and about and yes, occasionally being chased by the ZDs. But her colour is excellent, and she often tags along behind one of the smaller ZDs, indulging in her own chasing from time-to-time.

I'm thinking that there must be some sort of minimum level of local fish activity in the neighbourhood to make the CPD feel comfortable in their surroundings. I actually ran into an article a while ago that mentioned that ZDs are sometimes used this way -- to provide a "this space is safe" level of activity to draw shy fish out into the open. Sorry, I can't find the article now.

Gosh she's pretty -- red fins and white speckles.

Hrynkiw
hrynkiw

Postby Lissa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:34 pm

I have 6 CPDs in a 10g (I like living dangerously, lol), and they are very shy as well. However, my "dominant" male (the one who pushes every one around, but that's okay, because he's the prettiest) is very outgoing, and will come up to the glass to see if I'm about the feed them. He actually has a calming influence on one of my extremely shy females (she's the smallest in the tank); if he's near her, she's much more outgoing.
Lissa

Postby BallAquatics » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:19 pm

My first group of cpd were wild caught and very timid.

But my tank raised cpd are as bold as brass!

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Shy Celestial Danios

Postby xanderman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:27 am

xanderman

Next

Return to Behavior