[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Celestial Pearl Danio Forum • View topic - Lets hide with the bigger fish!

Lets hide with the bigger fish!

Discussions on temperament, schooling, territoriality, and other behavior.

Lets hide with the bigger fish!

Postby Riftlaw88 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 am

I set up a tank with an Apistogramma cockatoo dwarf cichlid. I wanted dither-fish for him and thought I would try these cute little CPDs. I got eight of them two weeks ago. The tank has a few small plants and a large piece of driftwood. I wanted their swimming to encourage the apisto to come out of hiding more often; instead, the CPDs hide behind the driftwood in the same spot the apisto does lol. He doesn't mind them, but I want them to be his dither-fish, not his hiding buddies.

Do CPDs normally hide a lot? I hardly see them unless I peek over the driftwood which only gives me a top-down view.
Is there a way to encourage them to swim around the tank more?
Riftlaw88

Re: Lets hide with the bigger fish!

Postby BallAquatics » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Riftlaw88, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you need some dither-fish for your dither-fish. :D CPD's are normally very timid. Sometimes, if you provide them with enough cover they will feel safer and become a bit bolder.... sometimes.

Dennis
BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby isaisbreetai » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I find the more plants there are the more they move around. That being said I wouldn't say that mine are very bold, they still flee if something gets close to the tank unless there is food in the tank
isaisbreetai

Postby Riftlaw88 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:03 am

Thanks for the welcome. I was surprised to find this forum focused on these little fish.

I will add more plants to the tank, but I want to try something more. I can either slightly increase their school, or add a small school of something else in the tank. What would you do in my place if you had this problem?

I almost never see them. They didn't seem so timid in the store. I researched their natural environment and requirements before buying them, but I forgot to look up their behavior. I figured Danio = bold and active, but I guess not. I put a school of timid fish in with a timid fish *big sigh*.
Riftlaw88

Postby BallAquatics » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:01 pm

BallAquatics
Site Admin

Postby Riftlaw88 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 am

Those are some neat looking danios. I don't see those at any of the LFSs here in southern California. I have some things to think about I guess. Thanks for the info :)
Riftlaw88

Postby mostlydave » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:55 pm

I recently added some new CPDs (Thanks Dennis!!) to a 20 long with 2 big pieces of driftwood and some java moss, its been about a week and they are very timid as described above. Will these fish breed in a smaller breeding setup, or should I try to get them acting a little bolder first?
mostlydave

Postby BallAquatics » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am

BallAquatics
Site Admin

Return to Behavior